London's mayor has a plan to build an airport on an artificial island in the Thames estuary. This plan has been branded "pie in the sky" by Medway Council. The plan is to build an airport in Thames estuary, some 60 miles from London. The mayor already has set up a Thames Estuary Steering Group to look into the airport. Medway Councils review has a couple of arguments why this airport would be a bad idea. The airport would be in an area where aircraft is 12 times more at risk of birdstrike. Another argument is that it would be too close to Thamesport, where ships unload liquid natural gasses. And Medway's landscape would be harmed, because a new airport would encourage air travel and need for a major road. Together with Kent County Council and Royal Society for the Protection of Birds Medway Council is campaining against the build of a new airport.
I agree with Medway Council. I also think it is a bad idea to build an airport in the Thames estuary. As the Medway Council already reviewed, it will be bad for birds, but I think that's not all. I think it will affect the nature in the Thames estuary. Also fishes, plants and other nature will be affected. And not only in the Thames estuary. When there is an airport there needs to be road, trainrails and other ways of traffic to get to the airport. This will also affect other areas where these roads have to be build. I think there are much easier and better idea's to expand an other airport, or to build a new one in a better area.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/8445934.stm
donderdag 7 januari 2010
Abonneren op:
Reacties posten (Atom)
I think it is a bad idea to build an airport here. It will harm nature because an airport will need an infrastructure around it, otherwise there is no use for building it. I agree with Laurens that it would probably be better to expand on other airport, or build one at a area where the infrastructure can handle it.
BeantwoordenVerwijderen